Regional / Ambulatory Anesthesia Fellowship
The Andrews Regional/Ambulatory Anesthesia Fellowship Program is a non–accredited one–year postgraduate anesthesia fellowship. The fellowship program falls under the direction of Greg Hickman, M.D. and Brandon Winchester, M.D. The fellowship adheres to the consensus guideline for training formulated by the Directors of Regional Anesthesia Fellowship Training Group, 2005. Clinical and academic components are combined to provide the fellow with comprehensive knowledge and enhanced clinical skills in:
- the administration of both adult and adolescent peripheral and neuraxial blocks,
- cadaver dissection for better understanding of neural anatomy,
- regional anesthetic patient care including the judicious use of sedation and appropriate respiratory management,
- managing ambulatory anesthetic techniques and cases,
- intraoperative and postoperative management of patients undergoing complex orthopaedic surgical procedures,
- postoperative pain management strategies utilizing intravenous, oral, and peripheral techniques including in–dwelling catheters,
- exposure to all sports medicine academic activities allowing a better understanding of an orthopaedic sports medicine practice.
The regional anesthesia fellowship has a balanced exposure to open and closed surgical treatment of the knee, foot/ankle, shoulder, hip, and wrist/elbow. Each fellow performs more than 1,600 ultrasound-guided nerve blocks per year, with more than 800 continuous perineural catheters.
About the Selection Process
Fellow accepted to the regional anesthesia fellowship program should have completed an ACGME–accredited residency in anesthesia; be a graduate of a medical school in the U.S.A. accredited by ACGME (or ECFMG equivalent); have or be able to obtain a full unrestricted license to practice medicine in the State of Florida. AREF will accept general applications via email.
- Fellowship Application
- Contact Emily Winchester, RN (blocknursing@(re3eM0oV3)gmail.com) for more information.
The academic year is August 1 through July 31. Regional Anesthesia fellow salary is $56,000 annually plus medical mal–practice coverage, and up to $1,000 annually for program–approved outside educational programs. Medical insurance is provided for fellow. Additional family medical insurance coverage is also offered. Housing is not provided.