What physical medicine and rehabilitation has to offer
- Q: What is physical medicine and rehabilitation and how can it help patients?
- Adam Mullan, M.D.: So physical medicine and rehabilitation can offer a lot to patients. We take a general approach to somebody's musculoskeletal pain complaints and utilize our understanding of neurological system and the musculoskeletal system to try to pinpoint a diagnosis for the etiology of their pain. Once we've confirmed the etiology that pain we structure a framework for treatment plan, whether that's through a multidisciplinary approach with physical therapists, surgeons or even prosthetists and orthotists. We make sure that we have a good understanding of what's causing that pain before enacting treatment.
- Q: What are some of the ways you help restore a patient’s functional ability?
- Adam Mullan, M.D.: So as specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation, we try to utilize non-operative approaches it restoring functional ability with medications, bracing, physical therapy or even activity modification to allow a patient the most functional independence and freedom in dealing with problems such as axial back pain or arthritis that's not operative.
- Q: Talk about the fulfillment to provide care for patients on a daily basis.
- Adam Mullan, M.D.: One of the one of my most favorite things to see is when a patient comes back who had difficulty getting down the hall and is walking comfortably and tells me about some recreational activities they able to participate in over the weekend. Whether that's kayaking, going out fishing again or playing 18 holes at their favorite golf course nearby.
all press releases